Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Busy Season Ahead

My first show for the summer season starts July 9. It is the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition which runs Friday through Sunday. Every weekend after that until the civic holiday weekend will be spent at a show. After Toronto Outdoor comes the Muskoka Arts and Crafts show in Bracebridge, then the Haliburton Art show and finally Kempenfest in Barrie.

I have been busy casting bronze in the shape of birds, sticks, nests and teacups. The teacup or teapot to me is a metaphor for family or friends. The ritual of making the tea and then sharing it is my way of showing love or friendship. The birds and rabbits in my work often take on human characteristics and are usually shown with teacups. I guess this shows I love my family and I like what I do. Lucky me.

The wax sculpture.

Melting the bronze before pouring in to the mold.

Still warm.
Bronze pieces cast and still covered with bits of the mold compound.

Cutting the sprues off of the pieces.


Brushing some of the compound off.


Now grinding off the rough edges.

All that is left to do is the filing, putting on the patina, waxing and then polishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment